We came across this a little bit ago, very interesting summer camp being held by a 9/12 Group down in Tampa Bay. Recent results of National Assessment of Education Progress show that American students are clueless about American history and civics. We appreciate the willingness of this citizen group to put on a camp focused on American history.
The following comes from their Eventbrite page for the camp.
Just as we the citizens of the United States of America bear the ultimate responsibility to ensure that liberty persists in our great nation, we also bear the ultimate responsibility to teach the generations that follow us the principles from which liberty flows; and further that they in turn bear that responsibility to teach these principles and responsibilities to their children. Only through diligence can freedom be perpetually maintained over the centuries to come.
Our goal in holding the Tampa Liberty School is to encourage our nation’s citizens to carry out this responsibility. Tampa Liberty School is a 5-day program for 3 hours a day designed to impart the principles of liberty as discovered and implemented by the founders of our country in young Americans ages 8-12 years old. The program is presented by a passionate and motivated group of citizens of the Tampa 912 Project to the children of the community.
We want the children to enjoy thoroughly the time they spend with us at the school. We also want them to have an experience that instills in them understanding, appreciation, excitement, and enthusiasm for the liberty we enjoy in America. We attempt to do this by having the children discover the principles of liberty for themselves by experiencing situations both consistent and contrary to those principles.
Some of the main points of emphasis in the Tampa Liberty School include:
- With freedom comes responsibility. Blending freedom and responsibility requires virtuous, moral, and educated citizens. This is why we teach the principles of liberty from the perspective of faith, hope and charity.
- We promote principles rather than specific men or political parties since these can be corrupted and disappoint us, whereas fundamental principles are timeless and incorruptible.
- Seek the truth by going to original sources. We go to the founders’ own words to understand the intent of their actions and the structure they laid for us. In this spirit, we encourage all involved in Tampa Liberty School to engage in their own quest for the truth and research beyond what is presented here.
- The founders’ faith in God was fundamental to the founding of our country and the system they provided.
- The ultimate responsibility for maintaining liberty lies with the people. It may be convenient to point blame at our elected officials for infringements that may creep in upon our liberties, but we must recognize that it is up to us (the citizens) to be the guardians of our liberty and assure that those we elect do not reach beyond the binds that the Constitution places on our government.
Tampa Liberty School borrows from the model of Vacation Bible School (VBS) that is familiar to so many Americans. It is similar to VBS in that it is a 5-day program, put on by parents and volunteers from the community. All activities are designed to teach while having fun. This connection in structure conveniently provides for quick understanding when introducing the concept.
We look forward to seeing you and your children coming out for this inaugural event!
We here at CTA wish this group much success on their endeavor this summer!